To get the best internet service, you need the best Midco approved modems you can buy, if you are a Midco Internet subscriber.
How do you know if what you are using is the best modem possible to get your ideal internet speeds? Are you using the right modem?
Midco charges a $3 rental fee per month for a standard modem and $5 a modem for a modem with a built-in router, all of which will add up over time.
You might not be aware, but you do not need to use their modem at all. Instead, you can purchase your own Midco compatible modem which will start paying for itself within a year, while owning a modem you actually want to use.
Top Reasons To Get Your Own Midco Approved Modem
There are actually many reasons why you should opt to buy your own modem rather than use the one that Midco offers, including eliminating rental fees, getting better coverage, and better speeds.
- Eliminate Rental Fees: While Midco’s rental fees are less than other ISPs, they are still an unnecessary expense. At $5 a month, you will be looking at $60 a year to rent a modem that was not selected by you and will unlikely meet your needs. In a year or two, your own modem will have paid for itself.
- Better Internet Speed: The amount of speeds that you need from your modem varies from network to network, but some modems are better equipped to handle high volume downloads than others. When you buy your own modem, you will have a chance to choose one with features (like higher DOCSIS versions, higher number of channels etc) that can handle the speeds you need.
- Extended Coverage: If you are using a modem with a built-in router, your coverage can be limited by what the router is able to project. Users who are in smaller spaces will be less affected than those in larger spaces, but you will not have an opportunity to select a modem router combo that has the range you need if you go with the Midco supplied modem.
Make Sure You're Getting A Midco Compatible Modem
Midco is a cable internet company and, as a result, you will need a cable internet modem in order to use your service. Even then, not every cable modem will work for every cable company. You need to be sure that the modem that you buy works specifically with Midco’s service. Otherwise, you will find yourself without internet. Midco offers a list of approved modems on their website here.
How To Install A New Midco Modem
When you have your own modem this is what you need to do to get started.
- Connect your coax cable from your cable jack in the wall to the cable connection on your modem.
- Connect your Ethernet cable from the modem’s Ethernet port to your computer’s Ethernet port.
- Plug in your power cord from your modem to the wall outlet. The power lights should turn on your modem.
- Open a browser on your computer and follow the setup steps from your modem’s box.
3 Best Midco Compatible Modems 2019
1. Motorola MG7550
2. Motorola MB8600
3. Arris SB6190
1. Motorola MG7550 Modem Router Combo
Best Midco Approved Modems (Editor's Choice)
The Motorola MG7550 cable modem is the Editor’s Choice for the best Midco supported modem that you can get. This is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which is 24 times faster than the DOCSIS 2.0.
This modem comes with a built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with power boost, ensuring that you get the best wireless service possible for all of your mobile devices, including phones, tablets, and even an HDTV.
Having the combination modem/router will give you extra room while also giving you more reliable connectivity. With its vertical design, the MG7550 is sleek, easier to conceal, and also keeps itself cool.
There are also four Gigabit Ethernet ports, allowing you to directly wire in any device that you would like to have a solid connection. This is ideal for HDTVs and game systems, where buffering or lagging is simply not an option.
2. Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem
High Performance Midco Compatible Modem
For those looking for a high performance Midco approved modem, the Motorola MB8600 might be the perfect choice for you. This is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 32x8 channels, offering you the speeds that you would expect to get from a modern modem.
The MB8600 has one open Gigabit Ethernet port to wire your devices in directly for a reliable connection, and three masked Gigabit Ethernet ports which can be bonded to create a super fast internet speed of over 1Gbps. This modem will also give you Active Queue Management (AQM), which is designed to reduce internet latency, allowing for faster page loads for all Web traffic.
This is an ideal modem for networks that have multiple streaming devices working simultaneously. You might have your game system connected via an Ethernet port, but still want to stream videos on other devices via a separate router. If that is the case, you can’t go wrong with the MB8600.
3. Arris SURFboard SB6190
If you are looking for a more budget friendly Midco compatible modem or are only interested in getting a standard modem without the router, the ArrisSURFboard might be the right choice for you.
Ideal for UHD movie streaming and online gaming, the SURFboard has 32 download and 8 upload channels. These channels are capable of up to 1.4 Gbps download speeds.
If you would still like to get Wi-Fi, you will need to purchase a router separately and then connect it to this modem. The benefit of going this route is you will have more control over your router. With a tight budget, however, the modem might be perfect for your network’s needs.
Arris has excellent customer service as well, allowing you to call tech support for any issues that you might have setting up your new modem. Otherwise, this has an easy installation and you will not be disappointed by its performance.
Midco Approved Modems List 2019
|Brand||Model #||Channels||Max Speed|
|SMC Networks||SMCD3GN2||8×4||320 Mbps|