Being a Frontier subscriber could be a little confusing if you are wondering about Frontier approved modems. This is because when it comes to getting started with Frontier FiOS, you will need to make sure that you have all of the devices that you need to get started with this service.
With Frontier FiOS, or fiber optic service, you do not actually need a modem at all, but instead you need a router.
A modem is used with cable or DSL internet connections that use cable or phone lines to give you service. Fiber networks do not rely on a modem for connection, but need an ONT box and a router, so really you need to look for routers rather than Frontier compatible modems.
Why You Should Get Your Own Frontier Approved Modem (Router)
If you are not sure why you need to get your own Frontier approved modem (router), then read on. Having your own router will help you:
- Save Money: Frontier FiOS charges you $10 a month to rent a router from them. The router is what gives you your wireless connection, so spending an extra $120 per year to use the router they supply will add up as time goes on. Buying your own Frontier compatible router is far more cost effective in the long run, even if you go with a router that costs more up front.
- Get Better Speeds: Sometimes an ISP-provided router is not terrible, but more often than not, you will not be getting the best router possible. Most of the time, you won’t even know exactly what you are renting until you receive it. On the other hand, when you buy your own, you will know exactly the brand, generation, and the capabilities of the router. This will allow you to maximize the amount of speed that you can get with a router you actually want.
- Have More Options: Not everyone needs the same levels of security and parental controls. Not every user would need a guest network. But because we are all individual users, we have different needs. Using the router supplied by Frontier means that you have no control over the options that you receive. You might not get the built-in security you want or the controls that you need to use your Wi-Fi safely.
How To Install A Frontier Compatible Modem (Router)
Here is what you need to do to setup your new modem or router.
Step 1: Make sure that you have everything that you need for installation. This includes: a Frontier compatible modem (router), power adapter, and an Ethernet cable.
Step 2: Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port in your computer. The other end will need to be connected to the Ethernet port on the router itself.
Step 3: If you have a DSL connection, attach one end of the DSL cord into your router and the other end into the wall outlet.
Step 4: Plug in your router’s power adapter to the back of your router, and attach the other end to the electrical outlet. Turn on your router now. The internet light that is on the front of your router should have turned on and remained in a solid state and should not be blinking.
Step 5: Open a browser on your PC or device to launch the router’s page. The address should be listed in your router’s packaging. This will allow you to personalize your router and set your password.
Best Frontier FiOS Compatible Modems & Routers 2019
1. Netgear R7000
Editor's Choice FiOS
2. Linksys EA9300
High Performance FiOS
3. Motorola MR1700
Budget Friendly FiOS
4. Motorola MD1600
Editor's Choice - DSL
1. Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100PAS WiFi Router
Best Frontier Approved
Modem Router (Editor's Choice)
Our Editor’s Choice for a Frontier compatible modem (router) is the Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100PAS. This router comes with a 1 GHz dual-core processor, giving you the right kind of power that you need from your router.
Security-wise there are several features that come with this router. To begin with, there are parental controls, limiting what devices have access to certain websites. It also comes with an OpenVPN Connect App, which allows you to access your network remotely using your phone or other mobile device.
The Nighthawk also comes with a ReadyCLOUD USB and ReadySHARE, which means that you will not only have a USB to cloud capability, but you can access your USB at any time no matter where you are at.
The most important thing that you will get from this router is that you can have no lag streaming, meaning uninterrupted movies and gaming. With Beamforming+, you will not be disappointed.
2. Linksys Max-Stream EA9300 Wireless Router
High Performance Frontier FiOS Compatible Router
If you are looking for a more high performance router, you should check out the Linksys Max-Stream. This is an intelligent tri-band router with a quad-core CPU and three offload processors.
With the next generation MU-MIMO, you are sure to get the best uninterrupted streaming that you can on the Frontier FiOS. The Max-Stream also comes with airtime fairness which is designed to improve your network’s efficiency, giving the devices that you want to have the speed continued and uninterrupted connection.
You also will get advanced beamforming with the Max-Stream, which will extend the coverage. With the nine high power amplifiers, you will be able to have the best range and performance that you can get no matter where you are in your house.
There are also auto firmware updates, so you don’t have to worry about keeping your router up-to-date with the latest security and features.
3. Motorola MR1700 Router
For a more budget-friendly router, the Motorola MR1700 is a great choice. It supports both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands and has four antennas to help boost your range.
This router has an easy installation with customer support. It also comes with user-friendly parental controls, a firewall, and even a guest network to help give you the highest level of security possible.
Even with a budget friendly price point, the MR1700 has the range that you would expect to get from a higher end router, making it usable from anywhere in your home. This is especially important when you have multiple mobile devices that use your network.
One of the best features that you get with this router is that it is versatile. While you can use it with Frontier FiOS, it is also designed to handle cable and DSL connections, so if you change services, you can still use the same router.