While all Uverse accounts require you to use their own modem, you can still purchase a third party router to give you better speeds, coverage, and security. That's why we will be looking at AT&T wireless routers rather than at AT&T compatible modems.
With your own AT&T compatible router, you will have better internet coverage and service, finding that your download speeds are much faster than before. You will have faster internet, better range, and even have more control over your network.
Knowing that getting a third party router will help your internet service is just the beginning. But what do you need to look for when you are shopping for a router?
Benefits Of Using Your Own AT&T Compatible Modem (Router)
There are many benefits to using your own AT&T router rather than just the AT&T compatible DSL modem router combo that you get from Uverse. Here are a few for you to consider.
- Faster Internet: Having your own router will allow you to have faster internet. It is an additional power boost that will send the signal out across the network to all of your wireless devices. A third party router will increase your internet speeds, making sure that you do not suffer any lag or buffering.
- Better Coverage: An additional router will allow you to have better coverage throughout your network. This will vary depending on the size of your home and how many floors and walls you have in your home. Your router should be centrally located, boosting coverage to where you need it most.
- More Control: Having your own router can also meant that you have more control over your network. You can have better security, whether it is parental controls, a VPN, or even a guest network. Using AT&T’s modem router unit will not give you the same security that you will get from an additional router.
How To Set Up Your New AT&T Compatible Router
While you need to use AT&T’s modem, you can still get your own AT&T compatible router. Here's how to connect a non-AT&T router to the Internet.
This Is How You Can Set It Up:
- Plug in an Ethernet cable from your WAN port on the router to the LAN port on the AT&T modem.
- Plug in your router to the power outlet and turn it on.
- Open a browser on your computer and type in 192.168.1.254. This is the address for your AT&T modem.
- Under Key Things to Do click on the wireless settings and switch it to “disabled.” This turns off the built-in router in your AT&T modem.
- Enter the IP address for your router into your browser, which should be located on your new router or its box.
- In your router’s settings find an option for DHCP or Bridge mode. Select Bridge mode to connect your new router to the AT&T modem.
3 Best Routers For AT&T Uverse 2019
1. Netgear R7000
2. Netgear Nighthawk X6
2. Motorola MR2600
1. Netgear R7000-100PAS Nighthawk WiFi Router
Best Router For AT&T Uverse (Editor's Choice)
The Editor’s Choice for the best AT&T Uverse compatible router is the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. This router comes with a 1 GHz dual-core processor, giving you the right kind of power that you need from your router.
Security-wise there are several features that come with this router. To begin with, there are parental controls, limiting which devices have access to certain websites. It also comes with an OpenVPN Connect App, which allows you to access your network remotely using your phone or other mobile device.
The Nighthawk also comes with a ReadyCLOUD USB and ReadySHARE, which means that you will not only have a USB to cloud capability, but you can access your USB at any time no matter where you are at.
The most important thing that you will get from this router is that you can have no lag streaming, meaning uninterrupted movies and gaming. With Beamforming technology, you will not be disappointed.
2. Netgear R8000-100NAS Nighthawk
High Performance AT&T Compatible
For a high performance router, the Netgear R8000 Nighthawk is the right choice for you. This Nighthawk model has one of the fastest combined Wi-Fi speeds that you can get at 3.2 Gbps, giving you uninterrupted streaming.
Because of its power and efficiency, the R8000 is ideal for networks that do a high amount of streaming, whether it is videos or online gaming. Part of this comes from the implicit and explicit Beamforming technology, which focuses your wireless signal to exactly where you need it to go.
This also has an added feature of Genie remote access, so you can log into your router wherever you are at. This customization will make sure that your network is still operating as you would like it to, even when you are not at home.
Finally, it has a ReadySHARE Vault app, giving you automatic backup for your computers and any USB storage device that you have connected to it. As with all Netgear routers, the set up is easy and simple.
3. Motorola AC2600 MR2600
Budget Friendly AT&T Compatible Router
If you are looking for a more budget friendly router, you should consider the Motorola MR 2600. This is considered a Smart Router, combining high speeds with high tech.
With its four antennae, sleek design, the Motorola MR2600 is a flat router that should blend into its surroundings fairly easily. It comes with 4 Gigabit LAN ports that can connect to all of your HDTVs, smartphones, game systems and more. You will also find both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports with this router. The USB 3.0 port has a DLNA media sharing support as well. The four antennae provide you with concurrent 4X4 performance for both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands. The speed is excellent and has a broad range to reach anywhere you need it to.
The Wave 2 MU-MIMO technology allows you to stream from multiple devices at the same time without lag, making this a great choice for households with gaming and video streaming.