While all Uverse accounts require you to use their own modem, you can still purchase a third party router to give you better wireless speeds, coverage, and network security.
That's why we will be looking at the best router for AT&T Uverse rather than at AT&T compatible modems.
With your own AT&T compatible router, you will have better internet coverage and service, finding that your download speeds are much faster than before.
You will have faster internet, better range, and even have more control over your network.
Knowing that getting a third party router will help your internet service is just the beginning. But what do you need to look for when you are shopping for a router?
Benefits Of Using Your Own AT&T Compatible Modem (Router)
There are many benefits to using your own AT&T router rather than just the AT&T compatible DSL modem router combo that you get from Uverse. Here are a few for you to consider.
- Faster Internet: Having your own router will allow you to have faster internet. It is an additional power boost that will send the signal out across the network to all of your wireless devices. A third party router will increase your internet speeds, making sure that you do not suffer any lag or buffering.
- Better Coverage: The standard AT&T compatible modem that they rent you is sometimes not sufficient for larger homes or apartments. An additional router will allow you to have better coverage throughout your network. This will vary depending on the size of your home and how many floors and walls you have in your home. Your router should be centrally located, boosting coverage to where you need it most.
- More Control: Having your own router can also meant that you have more control over your network. You can have better security, whether it is parental controls, a VPN, or even a guest network. Using AT&T’s modem router unit will not give you the same security that you will get from an additional router.
How To Set Up Your New AT&T Compatible Router
While you need to use AT&T’s modem, you can still get your own AT&T compatible router. Here's how to connect a non-AT&T router to the Internet.
This Is How You Can Set It Up:
- Plug in an Ethernet cable from your WAN port on the router to the LAN port on the AT&T modem.
- Plug in your router to the power outlet and turn it on.
- Open a browser on your computer and type in 192.168.1.254. This is the address for your AT&T modem.
- Under Key Things to Do click on the wireless settings and switch it to “disabled.” This turns off the built-in router in your AT&T modem.
- Enter the IP address for your router into your browser, which should be located on your new router or its box.
- In your router’s settings find an option for DHCP or Bridge mode. Select Bridge mode to connect your new router to the AT&T modem.
5 Best Routers For AT&T Uverse (2021)
1. Netgear R7000
2. Netgear Nighthawk X6
3. Motorola MR2600
4. Netgear XR700
5. Gryphon AC3000
1. Netgear R7000 Nighthawk WiFi Router
Best Router For AT&T Uverse (Editor's Choice)
The Editor’s Choice for the best router for ATT Uverse is the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. This router comes with a 1 GHz dual-core processor, giving you the right kind of power that you need from your router.
Security-wise there are several features that come with this router. To begin with, there are parental controls, limiting which devices have access to certain websites.
It also comes with an OpenVPN Connect App, which allows you to access your network remotely using your phone or other mobile device.
The Nighthawk also comes with a ReadyCLOUD USB and ReadySHARE, which means that you will not only have a USB to cloud capability, but you can access your USB at any time no matter where you are at.
The most important thing that you will get from this router is that you can have no lag streaming, meaning uninterrupted movies and gaming. With Beamforming technology, you will not be disappointed.
2. Netgear R8000 Nighthawk Wireless Router
High Performance AT&T Compatible
For a high performance router, the Netgear R8000 Nighthawk is the right choice for you. This Nighthawk model has one of the fastest combined Wi-Fi speeds that you can get at 3.2 Gbps, giving you uninterrupted streaming.
Because of its power and efficiency, the R8000 is ideal for networks that do a high amount of streaming, whether it is videos or online gaming.
Part of this comes from the implicit and explicit Beamforming technology, which focuses your wireless signal to exactly where you need it to go.
This also has an added feature of Genie remote access, so you can log into your router wherever you are at. This customization will make sure that your network is still operating as you would like it to, even when you are not at home.
Finally, it has a ReadySHARE Vault app, giving you automatic backup for your computers and any USB storage device that you have connected to it. As with all Netgear routers, the set up is easy and simple.
3. Motorola MR2600 WiFi Router
Budget Friendly AT&T Compatible Router
If you are looking for a more budget friendly router for AT&T Uverse, you should consider the Motorola MR 2600.
This is considered a Smart Router, combining high speeds with high tech. With its four antennae, sleek design, the Motorola MR2600 is a flat router that should blend into its surroundings fairly easily.
It comes with 4 Gigabit LAN ports that can connect to all of your HDTVs, smartphones, game systems and more.
You will also find both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports with this router. The USB 3.0 port has a DLNA media sharing support as well. The four antennae provide you with concurrent 4X4 performance for both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands. The speed is excellent and has a broad range to reach anywhere you need it to.
The Wave 2 MU-MIMO technology allows you to stream from multiple devices at the same time without lag, making this a great choice for households with gaming and video streaming.
4. Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR700 WiFi Router
If you are looking for a router for AT&T that is meant for gaming, the Netgear Nighthawk Pro XR700 is the router for you. This is a router designed especially for gaming.
Starting with its design, the XR700 is bulky and it will need to be placed in a location with good ventilation to prevent overheating. The design also includes four high-gain antennas, to help extend the reach of your router.
Made for gaming, the XR700 router has everything that you need to game efficiently without lagging. The router has six LAN ports and one WAN port, so you can hardwire any device that needs it, including your gaming console or HDTV.
The XR700 can reach speeds up to 7.2 Gbps, using its powerful 1.7GHz quad-core processor. The XR700 also has geo-filtering, which will help your router connect to the closest servers and players, giving you a quick response time and while allowing you to dominate the competition.
The XR700 router also has one of the lowest pings on the market as well as Anti-Buffer Bloat (ABB), which prioritizes traffic to keep you in the game.
It lets you monitor your network and game ping in real-time as well, which is great for keeping in the game. With the QoS feature on board, you can also ensure that your gaming will not be affected by other traffic in the network.
5. Gryphon AC3000 Mesh WiFi Router
For anyone looking for extended coverage for your AT&T internet, we recommend the Gryphon AC3000 router. This is a more unique router that has newer features to enhance your network.
The design of the Gryphon is more original than the other since it has a white casing and stands vertically. Tower designs typically stay cooler, increasing its longevity.
The antennas with this router are all internal, so the router itself is easy to conceal, though you will not have any control over the direction of the antennas.
The set up for this router is straightforward and the same applies for when you want add on new Gryphon routers to extend your coverage. It does come with excellent security features as well to help keep your network as locked down as possible.
The Gryphon is a high performance router. With only one Gryphon router, you will get up to 3,000 square feet in coverage. If you need more than 3,000 square feet in coverage, you can just add on more Gryphons and extend the reach, because this router also acts like a mesh system.
Furthermore, the Gryphon is a tri-band router with a 2.4 GHz band and 2 5 GHz bands. Traffic should be able to flow steadily throughout your network, without interruptions. It also has 4x4 MU-MIMO technology, making it easier for more than one user to stream at the same time.